Blood Agar: This type of differential media differentiates organisms on their ability to lyse red blood cells (hemolysis) through the production of the extracellular enzyme hemolysin.
β-hemolytic activity (A) will show lysis and complete digestion of red blood cell contents surrounding colony. e.g. Streptococcus haemolyticus.
α-hemolysis (B) will only partially lyse (the cells are either lysed or not- it is the digestion that may be incomplete) the hemoglobin and will appear green. e.g. Streptococcus viridans.
γ-hemolysis (C) is the term referring to a lack of hemolytic activity.
- why-i-am-a-vet-student likes this
- yourheartswitness reblogged this from thisfuturemd
- luciang reblogged this from thisfuturemd
- itasdoes likes this
- farfromcali likes this
- farfromcali reblogged this from thisfuturemd
- medicineisnotmerchandise likes this
- thisfuturemd reblogged this from fuckyeahmedicalstuff
- ilimaa reblogged this from fyeahmedlab
- iamabutterly reblogged this from fyeahmedlab and added:
- midgetmonkey reblogged this from fuckyeahmedicalstuff
- farahdin reblogged this from alscientist
- aleenaxd likes this
- alscientist reblogged this from rotiferola
- jannelle-o likes this
- mrsalt reblogged this from fuckyeahmedicalstuff
- thistlewitch reblogged this from iwanttobeadoctor
- thistlewitch likes this
- iwanttobeadoctor reblogged this from dontpanicitsjustscience
- nakednudeselena likes this
- gomeznude2012 likes this
- selena2088gomez likes this
- This was featured in #Science
- fyeahmedlab posted this